Le Mile End s’articule: Walk the Alley (June 16-17, 2017)
Call for Artists, Crafters, and Fashion Designers
Deadline: May 1st, 2017
Send proposals to: outreach @ articule . org
Le Mile End s’articule! is articule’s annual summer outdoor community arts festival, held in the alley next to the centre, during the famous ROTATION! ROTATION! garage sale.
For this summer’s edition, with the support of the Arrondissement du Plateau-Mont-Royal, the garage sale itself serves as inspiration for a weekend of eco-friendly textile art and design. Around the theme of re-use, re-invention, and recycling, festivities will include a fashion show, a day of workshops and activities, an outdoor art installation, music, fun, and food!
In keeping with articule’s ongoing work on anti-oppression, programming will prioritize submissions by and for diverse groups, representative of our community at large.
Call for Artist Collectives
An artist collective will be selected to create a site-specific installation to animate the festival space. Taking contemporary art to the streets, the project will connect articule’s shopfront and outdoor space all the way to the alley. This could include interventions involving the city-provided picnic tables and barricades (in a manner that will not alter or damage them permanently!). Collectives are invited to propose audacious projects in keeping with the themes of the festival: fibres processes, textiles, DIY, material culture, community, ecology, the body, alternative economics, re-use, re-invention, and recycling.
The selected project will be supported with a $500 artist fee, and access to objects/material from the garage sale.
Call for Fashion Designers + Wearable Art
Festivities will kick off with a fashion show presenting local artists and designers who work with re-use, re-invention, and recycling in their wearable creations. Each designer will showcase 2-3 looks, using their own models.
Selected designers will be supported with a $200 artist fee and access to objects/material from the garage sale.
Call for Workshops/Activities
All day Saturday June 17th, the alley next to articule will feature a series of workshops and activities. Artists, crafters, designers, and educators are encouraged to submit ideas for ongoing or scheduled activities, which could include talks and discussions, craft workshops, mending or repair stations (clothing, bikes, etc.), artistic collaborations with the public, and more! All activities should bear in mind that the festival is a family event, and be in keeping with the themes of the weekend above.
Selected participants will be supported with a $200 workshop fee, and access to objects/material from the garage sale.
- All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Submission: Mile End s’articule 2017” by May 1st, 2017.
- Please include a title, a 50-word bio, 150-word project statement, and 3-5 images (if relevant).
- For the art installation: please address how you intend to source materials for re-use, and/or how the project is eco-friendly, and please include a sketch showing how the project will exist on-site.
- For the fashion show: please address how your materials are sourced and/or how your designs are eco-friendly.
- For workshops: please address who the activities are geared towards, the length in time of the activity, and how you will ecologically source materials.
We will do our best to assist selected projects in sourcing materials from our local partners!