CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR 2017-2018 & 2018-2019
Deadline: November 21, 2016
articule is launching a call for proposals and invites local, national and international artists, artists’ collectives and curators interested in establishing a dialogue with contemporary art to submit an exhibition or research project for the centre’s programming years 2017-2018 and 2018-2019. We are interested in ideas and projects concerned with the daily challenges of our society. For the last five years, articule has made sustained efforts to present a plurality of artists and disciplines, corresponding to a more representative portrait of the artistic milieu in Quebec. The desire to offer a space for open and critical dialogue about experiences of marginalization and oppression is at the core of articule’s programming. Recognizing the existence of systemic inequalities in the milieu, the centre uses anti-oppression strategies in its organisational structure and selection processes.
As an artist-run centre dedicated to the presentation of a wide range of practices in contemporary art, and that supports experimentation and social engagement, articule will consider projects from emerging artists as well as those who have established important precedents and continue to commit themselves to the ideals of experimentation and risk-taking. We invite artists and curators of diverse abilities, genders and status and from marginalized groups to submit a proposal.
Issues and themes include but are not limited to:
- · Systemic problems in the presentation of certain artistic practices
- · Invisible barriers
- · Underrepresentation and misrepresentation of Indigenous artistic practices
- · Notions of value
- · Concepts of authenticity
- · The act of remix, alteration and repetition
- · Decolonial frameworks in modes of artistic and knowledge production
- · Conventional systems of arts presentation
articule’s mandate is to present art that promotes experimentation, social engagement, flexibility and dynamism and will favour projects in line with these criteria.
- Please complete the following form in a separate document using the name “lastname_form_articule” and attach it to your submission.
- Send your proposal to: email@example.com
- Subject of email: submission – programming articule 2017-19
- Submissions should be sent via email. Please do not send your proposal by mail.
For over ten years, articule has been presenting public interventions, live art projects, happenings, new artistic practices, as well as public talks, workshops, video/film screenings, etc. through its special projects programming. We invite artists and people working in other fields to question with us what is undisciplinarity today. How, by example, do we draw the line between art and community or activist projects, between aesthetic, political, scientific, or philosophical research? How are these limits transgressed? Projects can happen at the gallery, online or off site. We are also open to collaborations with other organisations. In order to respond quickly to proposed initiatives, the committee will meet regularly throughout the year to review submissions.
Support by articule for special projects can take many forms: promotional and logistic support, access to the center’s equipment, administrative infrastructure, venue, and financial support. People with an idea they would like to discuss and develop further with the committee are also invited to do so.
DEADLINE : ONGOING
Proposals must include:
- curriculum vitae
- a clear description of the project (max. 2 pages)
- a global budget with details on how articule’s support will be used
Visual support material
- supporting material (including one or more of the following)
- maximum of 20 digital images (on CD) or slides, clearly identified
- maximum of one DVD (max.10 min.), clearly identified
- a website
- any other document you consider pertinent to your submission
- a descriptive list for the visual material (title, date, dimension, medium)
- a self-addressed, sufficiently pre-stamped envelope if you want your
supporting material to be sent back to you
If you submit digital images please comply with the following guidelines: - compatible with MacIntosh OS 10.4 and OS 10.5
- jpeg format suggested, do not exceed 1 MB or 1024 x 768 pixels
- identify each image with a number and a title corresponding to the descriptive list
Please note that email applications are not accepted.
Dossiers that are not claimed or not pre-stamped will not be kept.